|Driving safely |
| Observe the posted speed limits on all roads. Generally in built-up areas the speed limit is 60kph, while on the open road speed limits of 100kph or 110kph apply. In residential areas and around schools, lower speed limits may apply. All speed limits are clearly marked on roadside signs and should be obeyed. Speed cameras are in operation in many areas. In addition, red light cameras to catch drivers who fail to stop at a red traffic light are also in operation. |
Distances in Australia are huge and towns may be few and far between. Follow these tips to fight driver fatigue:
- Begin your trip well rested.
- Start your trip after 7:00 am.
- Plan to stop for at least 15 minutes every two hours to take a break from driving.
- Plan when you will take longer meal breaks.
- Plan to complete most of the trip during daylight hours.
- Be sure to book overnight accommodation on a long trip to break the journey.
- If possible, share the driving.
|Going overseas? Check out our international links.|